Smithy Lodge & Grand Lodge

Your are in: Home > History & Architecture > Smithy Lodge & Grand Lodge


The two lodges were built well after the house was finished in a second phase of work on the estate starting in 1807.  The Earl of Wilton brought in John Webb, a pupil of William Eames to rework the landscape and Lewis Wyatt to alter the house and create the lodges.

One of the first improvements to be carried out was the enclosure of the park by a 10 foot high boundary wall, followed by the building of Grand Lodge at the southernmost tip of the park.

The Lodge is built of ashlar sandstone as a large triumphal arch with west and east wings of two floors of accommodation, cellars under the west wing and an attic over the arch.

It was created as an impressive main entrance from Manchester and stands at the start of one of the longest and most important carriage drives to the house.

Sir Thomas Egerton was a man of fashion and taste and the design of Smithy Lodge shows that he embraced the change towards the romantic landscape.  It is the earliest gatehouse into the park and built in an unusual octagonal shape.  It is thought that this too was designed by Lewis Wyatt in 1806 as a cottage to be viewed from the house in a romantic, rural setting. Its name derives from a group of blacksmith's shops set close by on Middleton Road, but now demolished.

In 1913 the park's new golf course manager appointed a professional, Sid Ball who lived in the tiny house with his wife and eight children.

Both lodges were refurbished in the Heritage Lottery Fund restoration of the historic features of the park in the late 1990's / early 2000.

Smithy Lodge has been furnished to a high standard and can be rented out for weekends and short breaks.  Contact Steve  on 0161 773 1085 x211 for more details.